Atlético Madrid midfielder’s comeback from brain cancer and mother’s paralysis
Diego Costa hopes to return to Spain on Sunday for La Liga opener
Laurent Koscielny said the player “probably won’t be there for the game” on Sunday but would join his team-mates for a walk-through this week.
The Frenchman said he was not aware of injuries after Koscielny failed to shake off a hamstring problem.
“The doctors don’t know too much about this,” said Koscielny after the win over Real Betis on Friday.
“It looks like a hamstring, but we will wait [to see] the scans this week.”
Koscielny said: “I just told the team doctor and the doctors, ‘We will decide on Tuesday morning’.
“This is the situation when we know nothing. If the medical staff says he could, then I have to say, ‘OK, it is great for him [to play]’. If they don’t, then I have to tell them to wait.”
France international midfielder has been suffering with a persistent back problem and recently said in a press conference he may have to retire from the national team.
“After three months, everything is very bad but I am thinking about the future,” he added.
“To give up playing football is very hard but I know where I am. It is the right time to go.”
Costa appeared to be a doubt to return to first-team action for Real Madrid when he suffered a relapse of his back problem in the 2-1 win over CSKA Moscow on Friday night.
The Spanish international, who played his 150th competitive game on Thursday at the Santiago Bernabeu, said: “I have a back problem. It was a long way to recovery and I had to take painkillers.
“My back is not the best but I tried to recover but I was very tired. I will go out and try to be available for the return [to the Spain squad].
“I will be there for the game on Sunday.”
There had been hopes of Costa, who is a full international, returning to Madrid’s first-team squad in time for their Champions League quarter-final second leg with Barcelona on Thursday.
However, Costa was not among the 34 Real Madrid players who underwent a medical last month